Sunday, December 7, 2008

I Didn't Realize That "Craft Show" Was Such A Literal Phrase


Ok so it is finally Sunday night and I am home. Its been a busy weekend. I had my first craft show on Saturday and today I went to visit my dear little grandmother. Anyway, about the show, I didn't realize how literal that phrasing is. That is exactly what I did. I worked very hard on my table and my presentation. I made two Christmasy table decorations out of ornaments and vases and candle rings, my friend built me some very nice wooden risers to give my items varied elevations, i even bought some candy canes to give to the kids. I arranged my little table and sat everything out for all to see. And.......they saw. Ha ha.


I really dont know how others do these things all the time. It was soooo much work trying to get prepared. Dont get me wrong I had a total of 6 sales so it wasn't a complete bust. I made back my table fee plus a smidge. But for me it was way more work put in than return. People just didnt turn out. Very low traffic. It was a small show. All of the table fees went to the school hosting the show so my money went to a good cause. And we got to keep all of our profits which was good. But if I could make some suggestions to the organizers for future shows it would be:

1. If they are going to have the same amount of space in the future then they should increase the entry fee and accept fewer artists. It was really too crowded. I couldn't even get far enough from my table to take a good picture that showed the entire layout in one frame.




As you can see this is even taken at an angle and not straight on.

These show the items a little better.































2. I would pay more attention to the types of artists that are being represented and limit the number in each category. There were only 20 vendors there total and 8 of them were jewelry.
So all in all it was a good experience in that I learned alot and I can say that my first one is behind me. I would like to do it again but I couldn't rely on doing only shows to exhibit my pieces.
Now, because I have been spending the last 2 weeks trying to get prepped for this show, I have neglected my etsy shop. So tomorrow I get to take a ton of pics, list new items, renew current listings, and so on, and so on, and so on. Well here's to tomorrow.

No comments: